of the Annunciation
The Church of the Annunciation is a large and vibrant
community of the faithful situated near the heart of the town.
The church was originally founded by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits)
in 1854. It was designed by the architect Joseph Hansom
and is a Grade II listed building.
In 1840, the Jesuits founded Mount St Mary's College in Spinkhill.
From there they missioned to the local community.
In the 1850s they decided to build a church in Chesterfield.
Joseph Hansom was asked to design the church.
He designed numerous churches for the Jesuits,
such as Our Lady Immaculate and St Joseph Church, Prescot,
the St Walburge's Church, Preston, St Joseph's Church, Leigh,
the Holy Name Church,
Manchester and St Aloysius Gonzaga Church, Oxford.
The Jesuit influence is visible in the church in the window immediately before the entrance to the Sacristy. It shows a priest saying Mass
before a group of Jesuits. Among those depicted are St Ignatius Loyola and St Francis Xavier.
In 1881, the current organ was installed, it was built by Henry Willis Senior of
Henry Willis & Sons.
At some point in the early to mid-20th century the administration of the parish was handed over by the Jesuits to the Diocese of Nottingham.
In 1980, Chesterfield and other parts of north Derbyshire became part
of the then newly created Diocese of Hallam who continue
to serve the parish.
December 2017 saw our newly refurbished church completed,
and the inauguration of the Parish of Our Lady Queen of Peace
with the Church of the Holy Family.
Previous Parish Priests
Fr. T.M. Hill SJ - 1854 - 1855
Fr. W. Brindle SJ - 1856 - 1865
Fr. W. Lea SJ - 1866 - 1868
Fr. H. Birch SJ - 1868 - 1871
Fr. H. Everard SJ - 1871 - 1872
Fr. W. Cardwell SJ - 1872 - 1881
Fr. J. Splaine SJ - 1881 - 1887
Fr. T. Williams SJ - 1887 - 1889
Fr. J. Jackson SJ - 1889 - 1899
Fr. J. Ryan SJ - 1899 - 1902
Fr. W. Splaine SJ - 1902 - 1911
Fr. P. Hassan SJ - 1911 - 1922
Fr. J. Corr SJ - 1922 - 1927
Fr. W. Ross SJ - 1927 - 1932
Fr. H. Wilson Dr - 1932 - 1944
Fr. E.H. Atkinson Canon - 1944 - 1951
Fr. L.J. Williamson Canon - 1951 - 1967
Fr. D. Ryan Canon - 1967 - 1985
Fr. S.P. Sullivan Mgr - 1985 - 1992
Fr. J. Metcalfe - 1992 - 1995
Fr. W.A. Burke - 1995 - 2004
Fr. M.G. McManus - 2005 - 2016
Fr. A.P.I. Tomlinson - 2016 -
The Children's Liturgy offers children an insight
into the Sunday Gospel,
and encourages the children to live that Gospel
during the coming week.
We offer the Liturgy weekly, in term time,
during the 9.30am Sunday Mass.
ANNUNCIATION MUSIC MINISTRY
Please consider joining our music ministry at the Annunciation.
The music is now identical for both the 9.30am and 11.00am Mass
and we perform in a range of different styles, led by three different
musicians on rotation, who each bring their own styles
and expertise with them.
We rehearse on a Thursday evening at 7.30pm in the church,
and would really like new members, both to sing and/or
play an instrument.
The Parish Centre
The Parish Centre is the hub of our Parish social life, and several groups meet there on a weekly basis.
Additionally, the space may be hired for children’s discos, birthdays, anniversaries and family celebrations. We also have our own bar.
NOTE: The Parish Bar is not available on Sundays.
All enquires should be pursued through the Letting Secretary.
For Parish Centre enquiries call: 07772 145806
There is usually a Book Sale each month in the Parish Centre,
and a regular Jumble Sale.
There is also a Tuesday club for over 60’s
2.00pm – 4.00pm.
On Wednesdays we have Bingo 7.30 - 9.30pm.
Please see the News page for latest.